Last updated December 09, 2022
This privacy notice for Sidebar (Oliver Türk) ("Company", "we," "us," or "our"), describes how and why we might collect, store, use, and/or share ("process") your information when you use our services ("Services"), such as when you:
Questions or concerns?
Reading this privacy notice will help you understand your privacy rights and choices. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, please do not use our Services. If you still have any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com.
SUMMARY OF KEY POINTS
This summary provides key points from our privacy notice, but you can find out more details about any of these topics by clicking the link following each key point or by using our table of contents below to find the section you are looking for. You can also click here to go directly to our table of contents.
- Visit our website at https://www.sidebarapp.net, or any website of ours that links to this privacy notice
- Engage with us in other related ways, including any sales, marketing, or events
What personal information do we process?
When you visit, use, or navigate our Services, we may process personal information depending on how you interact with Sidebar and the Services, the choices you make, and the products and features you use. Click here to learn more.
Do we process any sensitive personal information?
We do not process sensitive personal information.
Do we receive any information from third parties?
We do not receive any information from third parties.
How do we process your information?
We process your information to provide, improve, and administer our Services, communicate with you, for security and fraud prevention, and to comply with law.
We may also process your information for other purposes with your consent.
We process your information only when we have a valid legal reason to do so. Click here to learn more.
In what situations and with which parties do we share personal information?
We may share information in specific situations and with specific third parties. Click here to learn more.
How do we keep your information safe?
We have organizational and technical processes and procedures in place to protect your personal information.
However, no electronic transmission over the internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed
to be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third
parties will not be able to defeat our security and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your information.
Click here to learn more.
What are your rights?
Depending on where you are located geographically, the applicable privacy law may mean you have certain rights regarding your personal information. Click here to learn more.
How do you exercise your rights?
The easiest way to exercise your rights is by contacting us via e-mail. We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Want to learn more about what Sidebar does with any information we collect? Click here to review the notice in full.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
Personal information you disclose to us
In Short: We collect personal information that you provide to us.
We collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you express an interest in obtaining
information about us or our products and Services, when you participate in activities on the Services, or
otherwise when you contact us.
Sensitive Information. We do not process sensitive information.
Payment Data. We may collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment
instrument number, and the security code associated with your payment instrument. All payment data is stored by
Stripe. You may find their privacy notice link(s) here: https://stripe.com/en-gb-at/privacy.
All personal information that you provide to us must be true, complete, and accurate, and you must notify us of
any changes to such personal information.
Information automatically collected
In Short: Some information — such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address and/or browser and device
characteristics — is collected automatically when you visit our Services.
We automatically collect certain information when you visit, use, or navigate the Services. This information does
not reveal your specific identity (like your name or contact information) but may include device and usage
information, such as your IP address, browser and device characteristics, operating system, language
preferences, referring URLs, device name, country, location, information about how and when you use our
Services, and other technical information. This information is primarily needed to maintain the security and
operation of our Services, and for our internal analytics and reporting purposes.
The information we collect includes:
Log and Usage Data.
Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage, and performance information our
servers automatically collect when you access or use our Services and which we record in log files.
Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information,
browser type, and settings and information about your activity on the website (such as the date/time stamps
associated with your usage, visited pages)
We collect the following device data when using Sidebar:
Crash Report Data.
Should you submit a crash report via the built-in crash reporter, the following data will be transferred:
- A hashed (SHA-256) version of your hardware UUID. You can check your hardware UUID in the System Information app
- The name of your device. You can check the name of your device in the System Settings app (General -> About)
- A timestamp of when you register Sidebar with your device
2. HOW DO WE PROCESS YOUR INFORMATION?
In Short: We process your information to provide, improve, and administer our Services, communicate with you, for
security and fraud prevention, and to comply with law. We may also process your information for other purposes
with your consent.
We process your personal information for a variety of reasons, depending on how you interact with our Services,
- Hardware Model
- OS version
- Date and time of the crash
- A stack trace which provides detailed infromation about the sequence of function calls leading up to the crash. This does not include any data!
3. WHAT LEGAL BASES DO WE RELY ON TO PROCESS YOUR INFORMATION?
In Short: We only process your personal information when we believe it is
necessary and we have a valid legal reason (i.e., legal basis) to do so under applicable law, like with your
consent, to comply with laws, to provide you with services to enter into or fulfill our contractual obligations,
to protect your rights, or to fulfill our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in the EU or UK, this section applies to you.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and UK GDPR require us to explain the valid legal bases we rely on
in order to process your personal information. As such, we may rely on the following legal bases to process your
- To save or protect an individual's vital interest. We may process your information when necessary to save or
protect an individual’s vital interest, such as to prevent harm.
In legal terms, we are generally the "data controller" under European data protection laws of the personal
information described in this privacy notice, since we determine the means and/or purposes of the data
processing we perform. This privacy notice does not apply to the personal information we process as a "data
processor" on behalf of our customers. In those situations, the customer that we provide services to and with
whom we have entered into a data processing agreement is the "data controller" responsible for your personal
information, and we merely process your information on their behalf in accordance with your instructions. If you
want to know more about our customers' privacy practices, you should read their privacy policies and direct any
questions you have to them.
If you are located in Canada, this section applies to you.
We may process your information if you have given us specific permission (i.e., express consent) to use your
personal information for a specific purpose, or in situations where your permission can be inferred (i.e.,
implied consent). You can withdraw your consent at any time. Click here to learn more.
In some exceptional cases, we may be legally permitted under applicable law to process your information without
your consent, including, for example:
- Consent. We may process your information if you have given us permission (i.e., consent) to use your personal
information for a specific purpose. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Click here to learn more.
- Legal Obligations. We may process your information where we believe it is necessary for compliance with our
legal obligations, such as to cooperate with a law enforcement body or regulatory agency, exercise or defend
our legal rights, or disclose your information as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Vital Interests. We may process your information where we believe it is necessary to protect your vital
interests or the vital interests of a third party, such as situations involving potential threats to the
safety of any person.
In Short: We may share information in specific situations described in this section and/or with the following
We may need to share your personal information in the following situations:
- If collection is clearly in the interests of an individual and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way
- For investigations and fraud detection and prevention
- For business transactions provided certain conditions are met
- If it is contained in a witness statement and the collection is necessary to assess, process, or settle an insurance claim
- For identifying injured, ill, or deceased persons and communicating with next of kin
- If we have reasonable grounds to believe an individual has been, is, or may be victim of financial abuse
- If it is reasonable to expect collection and use with consent would compromise the availability or the accuracy of the information and the collection is reasonable for purposes related to investigating a breach of an agreement or a contravention of the laws of Canada or a province
- If disclosure is required to comply with a subpoena, warrant, court order, or rules of the court relating to the production of records
- If it was produced by an individual in the course of their employment, business, or profession and the collection is consistent with the purposes for which the information was produced
- If the collection is solely for journalistic, artistic, or literary purposes
- If the information is publicly available and is specified by the regulations
5. HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
In Short: We keep your information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this privacy
notice unless otherwise required by law.
We will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes set out in this
privacy notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting, or
other legal requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or
anonymize such information, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been
stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any
further processing until deletion is possible.
6. HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION SAFE?
In Short: We aim to protect your personal information through a system of organizational and technical security
We have implemented appropriate and reasonable technical and organizational security measures designed to protect
the security of any personal information we process. However, despite our safeguards and efforts to secure your
information, no electronic transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to
be 100% secure, so we cannot promise or guarantee that hackers, cybercriminals, or other unauthorized third
parties will not be able to defeat our security and improperly collect, access, steal, or modify your
information. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal
information to and from our Services is at your own risk. You should only access the Services within a secure
7. WHAT ARE YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS?
In Short: In some regions, such as the European Economic Area (EEA), United Kingdom (UK), and Canada, you have
rights that allow you greater access to and control over your personal information. You may review, change, or
terminate your account at any time.
In some regions (like the EEA, UK, and Canada), you have certain rights under applicable data protection laws.
These may include the right (i) to request access and obtain a copy of your personal information, (ii) to
request rectification or erasure; (iii) to restrict the processing of your personal information; and (iv) if
applicable, to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may also have the right to object to the
processing of your personal information. You can make such a request by contacting us by using the contact
details provided in the section "HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US ABOUT THIS NOTICE?" below.
We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
If you are located in the EEA or UK and you believe we are unlawfully processing your personal information, you
also have the right to complain to your local data protection supervisory authority. You can find their contact
details here: https://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
If you are located in Switzerland, the contact details for the data protection authorities are available here:
Withdrawing your consent: If we are relying on your consent to process your personal information, which may be express and/or implied consent depending on the applicable law, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us by using the contact details provided in the section "HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US ABOUT THIS NOTICE?" below.
However, please note that this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before its withdrawal nor, when
applicable law allows, will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on
lawful processing grounds other than consent.
If you have questions or comments about your privacy rights, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. CONTROLS FOR DO-NOT-TRACK FEATURES
Most web browsers and some mobile operating systems and mobile applications include a Do-Not-Track ("DNT")
feature or setting you can activate to signal your privacy preference not to have data about your online
browsing activities monitored and collected. At this stage no uniform technology standard for recognizing and
implementing DNT signals has been finalized. As such, we do not currently respond to DNT browser signals or any
other mechanism that automatically communicates your choice not to be tracked online. If a standard for online
tracking is adopted that we must follow in the future, we will inform you about that practice in a revised
version of this privacy notice.
9. DO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS HAVE SPECIFIC PRIVACY RIGHTS?
In Short: Yes, if you are a resident of California, you are granted specific rights regarding access to your
California Civil Code Section 1798.83, also known as the "Shine The Light" law, permits our users who are
California residents to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, information about categories
of personal information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes and the names and
addresses of all third parties with which we shared personal information in the immediately preceding calendar
year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in
writing to us using the contact information provided below.
If you are under 18 years of age, reside in California, and have a registered account with Services, you have the
right to request removal of unwanted data that you publicly post on the Services. To request removal of such
data, please contact us using the contact information provided below and include the email address associated
with your account and a statement that you reside in California. We will make sure the data is not publicly
displayed on the Services, but please be aware that the data may not be completely or comprehensively removed
from all our systems (e.g., backups, etc.).
CCPA Privacy Notice
The California Code of Regulations defines a "resident" as:
- Business Transfers. We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of,
any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another
All other individuals are defined as "non-residents."
If this definition of "resident" applies to you, we must adhere to certain rights and obligations regarding your
What categories of personal information do we collect?
We have collected the following categories of personal information in the past twelve (12) months:
- (1) every individual who is in the State of California for other than a temporary or transitory purpose
- (2) every individual who is domiciled in the State of California who is outside the State of California for a
temporary or transitory purpose
We may also collect other personal information outside of these categories through instances where you interact
with us in person, online, or by phone or mail in the context of:
- A. Identifiers: NO
- B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute: NO
- C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law: NO
- D. Commercial information: NO
- E. Biometric information: NO
- F. Internet or other similar network activity: NO
- G. Geolocation data: NO
- H. Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information: NO
- I. Professional or employment-related information: NO
- J. Education Information: NO
- K. Inferences drawn from other personal information: NO
How do we use and share your personal information?
More information about our data collection and sharing practices can be found in this privacy notice.
You may contact us by email at email@example.com, or by referring to the contact details at the bottom of this
If you are using an authorized agent to exercise your right to opt out we may deny a request if the authorized
agent does not submit proof that they have been validly authorized to act on your behalf.
Will your information be shared with anyone else?
We may disclose your personal information with our service providers pursuant to a written contract between us
and each service provider. Each service provider is a for-profit entity that processes the information on our
We may use your personal information for our own business purposes, such as for undertaking internal research for
technological development and demonstration. This is not considered to be "selling" of your personal
Sidebar has not disclosed or sold any personal information to third parties for a business or commercial purpose in
the preceding twelve (12) months. Sidebar will not sell personal information in the future belonging to website
visitors, users, and other consumers.
Your rights with respect to your personal data
Right to request deletion of the data — Request to delete
You can ask for the deletion of your personal information. If you ask us to delete your personal information, we
will respect your request and delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions provided by law,
such as (but not limited to) the exercise by another consumer of his or her right to free speech, our compliance
requirements resulting from a legal obligation, or any processing that may be required to protect against
Right to be informed — Request to know
Depending on the circumstances, you have a right to know:
- Receiving help through our customer support channels;
- Participation in customer surveys or contests; and
- Facilitation in the delivery of our Services and to respond to your inquiries.
In accordance with applicable law, we are not obligated to provide or delete consumer information that is
de-identified in response to a consumer request or to re-identify individual data to verify a consumer
Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of a Consumer’s Privacy Rights
We will not discriminate against you if you exercise your privacy rights.
Upon receiving your request, we will need to verify your identity to determine you are the same person about whom
we have the information in our system. These verification efforts require us to ask you to provide information
so that we can match it with information you have previously provided us. For instance, depending on the type of
request you submit, we may ask you to provide certain information so that we can match the information you
provide with the information we already have on file, or we may contact you through a communication method
(e.g., phone or email) that you have previously provided to us. We may also use other verification methods as
the circumstances dictate.
We will only use personal information provided in your request to verify your identity or authority to make the
request. To the extent possible, we will avoid requesting additional information from you for the purposes of
verification. However, if we cannot verify your identity from the information already maintained by us, we may
request that you provide additional information for the purposes of verifying your identity and for security or
fraud-prevention purposes. We will delete such additionally provided information as soon as we finish verifying
Other privacy rights
- whether we collect and use your personal information;
- the categories of personal information that we collect;
- the purposes for which the collected personal information is used;
- whether we sell your personal information to third parties;
- the categories of personal information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose;
- the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose; and
- the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information.
To exercise these rights, you can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by referring to the contact
details at the bottom of this document. If you have a complaint about how we handle your data, we would like to
hear from you.
10. DO WE MAKE UPDATES TO THIS NOTICE?
In Short: Yes, we will update this notice as necessary to stay compliant with relevant laws.
We may update this privacy notice from time to time. The updated version will be indicated by an updated
"Revised" date and the updated version will be effective as soon as it is accessible. If we make material
changes to this privacy notice, we may notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes or by
directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to review this privacy notice frequently to be informed of
how we are protecting your information.
11. HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US ABOUT THIS NOTICE?
If you have questions or comments about this notice, you may email us at email@example.com.
12. HOW CAN YOU REVIEW, UPDATE, OR DELETE THE DATA WE COLLECT FROM YOU?
You have the right to request access to the personal information we collect from you, change that information, or
delete it. To request to review, update, or delete your personal information, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may object to the processing of your personal information.
- You may request correction of your personal data if it is incorrect or no longer relevant, or ask to restrict the processing of the information.
- You can designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf. We may deny a request from an authorized agent that does not submit proof that they have been validly authorized to act on your behalf in accordance with the CCPA.
- You may request to opt out from future selling of your personal information to third parties. Upon receiving an opt-out request, we will act upon the request as soon as feasibly possible, but no later than fifteen (15) days from the date of the request submission.